It's Here!!! I've uploaded my Quad ESL refurbishing book. I've refined my techniques over the years, and I've got to update it, but it should get you started on the road to fixing your own speakers.
Quad ESL Refurbishing and Modifications:
My Quad ESL Book
My Tweeter Mylar Stretching Jig(for rebuilding tweeter panels)
Quad Refurbishing Article (everything you need to know to do it yourself)
- Quad ESL Input transformer pictures:
- Quad ESL Service Manual
Quad ESL Articles and References:
- Quad ESL Dummy Load Provided by Christian Steingruber
- Quad ESL Diagram and Spec Sheet.
- Faye Dunaway's stacked Quads Provided by Francis E. Halaburt firstname.lastname@example.org
- A picture of the Hartley/Quad/Decca system Provided by Tom Howe
- A picture of the original Quad ESL fabrication jig
- Quad ESL Stacking and Modification Article
- The Essential ESL
- The Quad Electrostatic Loudspeaker
- Classic Hi-Fi Supplement (HFN&RR) Thanks to Stephen Le Pla
- Audio Critic 1980 Quad ESL Review Thanks to Chris Steingruber
- The Quad Electrostatic Speaker (Hi-Fi News, 1957) Thanks to Massimo de Majo
Quad ESL Related Links:
I'm sure I've left out lots of people who deserve a lot of credit for keeping this great speaker alive. If I've left you out, or somebody who should be included, drop me a note and I'll update the list.
- Dr. Quad's ESL-57 Hotline A great site full of lots of original Quad ESL information, Highly recommended
- Double Quad Electronics Today International Feb 1975 (another Quad ESL stacking article)
- Peter D. O'Neill's Quad page (lot's of stacked ESL photos.)
- ESL Tweaks Speaker Building Page (nothing on Quads yet, only other ESL's)
- Some Quad ESL and electronics articles Provided by Francis E. Halaburt email@example.com
- Quad World a really nicely done tribute to Quad electronics. Check it out.
Useful Sources of Information and Parts:
ER Audio in Australia is a great source for mylar, coatings, power supplies, input transformers and complete ESL kits. His prices are very good, and they ship promptly. Mylar is very well packed in a double mailer tube arangement. The products and service I've gotten from these guys is first class. I highly recommend them.
Roger Sanders at Innersound has been building Electrostatic Loudspeakers Since the 1970's. He has published many articles on the subject, as well as a book. If you don't own Quads, or would like something more "full range" or louder, his designs are worth looking into, and are fairly inexpensive to boot. His book is a wealth of ESL information and tips. I recommend it to anyone who is rebuilding ESL's or contemplating building a set from scratch. I don't agree with everything in the book, but overall it's a great learning tool to understand the fundamentals of ESL design. He is marketing a set of ESL's, I'll provide info here in the future. I'm sure they will be worth checking out.
First Edition, 1995
by Roger Sanders
with Barry McClune
Audio Amateur Publications Inc.
P.O. Box 576
Peterborough, NH 03458-0576